My Guys Moving & Storage
Our Packing Tips
Moving/Packing Tips for Household Goods
When packing common household items for a big move, follow these long distance moving tips to ensure the safety of your belongings:
- Softer items such as sweaters and stuffed toys can be packed in trash bags instead of boxes to save space.
- When packing breakable items, be sure not to put them in with other heavy items. One inch of crumpled-up paper between breakable items will keep them the safest; towels and other soft linens can provide good cushioning as well.
- When packing valuables, be sure to pack them together and either move them in your own vehicle or check them quickly upon arrival to make sure they made it safely to your destination.
- If possible, repack electronic devices in their original boxes. Take a picture of complex wiring with your mobile phone to remember how to re-connect at destination. Be sure that everything is unplugged before moving day. Everything not in the original box can be wrapped in padding by movers.
- Picture frames, mirrors, electronics, and lampshades can easily be damaged. Be sure to bubble-wrap as much as possible, or we can provide mirror cartons at affordable rates.
- When moving mattresses, they can be put on the moving truck after being wrapped in furniture pads, or special mattress boxes can be purchased if desired. Also, upholstered furniture can be shrink-wrapped by request.
- Any furniture containing pressed wood or particle board could easily be damaged in the move. These pieces should be removed beforehand in order to keep them from breaking.
Moving and Packing Tips for Appliances
Follow these packing tips for moving appliances so that your bigger items arrive in great condition:
- The gas company must service all gas appliances prior to moving day.
- Refrigerators & freezers must be emptied, defrosted & dry prior to moving day.
- Please remove or safely pack the glass tray inside the microwave.
- Our dependable movers can disconnect your washer and dryer if necessary.
General Packing Tips
Even with the best moving and packing tips, it is hard to move from one home to another. Following these general guidelines will make your move easier when it comes time to pack:
- When using a professional moving company, it is best to start packing early. Boxes usually take around a half-hour to pack. A home can take between two and four days to pack, while an apartment can take about one day.
- Use all of your food so that you don’t have to move it. Anything that you plan to move must be unopened, especially liquids.
- Be sure to have a black marker and packing tape ready so that you can label and seal each box quickly. Always list the contents of the box, which room it will need to be put in, and if its contents are fragile or not.
- Start packing the areas of your home that you use the least. Pack your essentials last so that you will have what you need first in your car after you’ve arrived at your new home.
- Tape boxes on the top and on the bottom very well. If you are carrying heavy items, they should go on the bottom, and you will need to double-tape those boxes for your moving service.
Moving Day and Long Distance Moving Tips
These basic moving/packing tips will ensure that your day goes smoothly and that your belongings stay safe:
- Movers will not pack your things unless previous arrangements have been made. If you need packing, please request that service when you are booking your move.
- All elevators, parking areas, and loading docks necessary should be reserved before moving day.
- Be available to answer any questions on moving day regarding where items should be placed. Try to enjoy your moving day, we’ll be there every step of the way!
Put Your Trust in My Guys Moving & Storage
- Free Estimates
- Home and Office Moves
- Local Moves and Long Distance Moving
- Packing and Unpacking Services
- Licensed, Bonded and Insured
- Additional Valuation Coverage Available
- No Hidden Fees or Charges
- Affordable Moving Boxes and Packing Supplies
- Clean Trucks, Proper Equipment & Pads
- Respectful of HOA Guidelines
- Member of the Better Business Bureau
- Willingness to Make Additional Stops
My Guys Moving: Friendly, Affordable, Dependable!
Call 800-783-4897 or simply fill out the Free Moving Quote form on this page and One of the Guys will be right with you! Thanks for contacting MY GUYS!